Hello everyone.

This seems a novice question, but I have scanned Apple Mac-Dev-Center site and
I dived into all kinds of documentation, to no avail.
It seems that some basic functionality that was once beautifully covered by the
grand "QuickTime" API-set has split into so many parts of the system I can't
figure out how to do it anymore.
I'm re-writing an application I did 12 years ago, on MacOS 9, QuickTime
Sequence-Grabber APIs and the first versions of Carbon.

My task:
---------
I need to continuously grab frames from an IIDC/DCam camera connected to the
Mac via FireWire (iEEE1394), and display them on the application window,
scaled,  somewhat enhanced (contrast, edges), with a grid overlay drawn on
them. Further, I need to allow a user to draw geometrical objects on the live
image, and measure distances and curves clicking over the live video view.
---------

I neither need to record video to disk nor to compress the incoming video. Just
display it at the best quality and frame-rate I can. The camera is mounted on a
Microscope, and the need for live-image is for the operator to be able to focus
the microscope with on-screen feedback, or move the objective to search for
some microscopic object.

The original implementation did this without problems on 1999 Macs, using
QuickTime SG (Sequence-Grabber) APIs for grabbing video, QuickDraw for drawing
over the actual GWorld's. I also converted the color spaces by hand, and
optimized here and there, until I was able to reach 15fps with a 2mega-pixel
camera, on a PPC G3 iMac of that time.

Now --- not only I can't find any API set that will allow me to grab video from
camera, I find so many frameworks involved in Video that I can't find the
connection points between them. Embarrassingly complicated and incomplete APIs.

I know I'll need Quartz to draw over the image. I know CoreGraphics will be
involved in the layering and CoreImage for image-enhancements. I don't know If
I need CoreVideo, although it is about manipulating video as it is displayed. I
don't know If I need QTKit or AVFoundation, or something else, and where does
OpenGL get in the middle.

There is NO SAMPLE PROGRAM now, in in the whole of Apple's developer site to
simply grab frames from the iSight (internal camera of the Mac) and display
them! The last thing I have (BrideOfMungGrab) does not compile anymore with
MacOS 10.7 SDK. In the past, the same API was used for grabbing from iSight,
DCAM/IIDCS cameras, and DV-Cam --- today I don't know.

I absolutely need a pointer, or I'm missing something big as an elephant.

Help please?

Motti Shneor,
---
ceterum censeo microsoftiem delendam esse
---