On 9 Dec 2013, at 5:01 pm, Mike Abdullah <mabdul...@karelia.com> wrote:

> Maybe a dumb question: How about using CATiledLayer?

Well, I haven’t explored it very much, and certainly not in this context, but
it seems to me that it’s solving a different problem. It sounds similar, but
it’s not actually useful for buffering vector drawing in the way I’m trying to.
The tiles are relative to the view’s bounds, so as you zoom in, they get larger
- so large that they soon hit hard limits in OpenGL for texture sizes. What I
need are tiles that never change size as you zoom in and out, and are relative
to the window’s backing store. (As the window size changes, you have more or
fewer tiles, but they never change size).

If CATiledLayer can be made to work that way (perhaps in some layer-backed
subclass of NSClipView) it might be worth exploring, though for now this
exercise has me feeling pretty exhausted. The lack of decent documentation
isn’t much help either.

—Graham