On Dec 10, 2013, at 10:25 AM, Seth Willits <sli...@araelium.com> wrote:

> The idea is that by using it you push drawing commands into the ether which
> may end up being drawn on the GPU via QE (I don't know that anyone said that,
> but it's something that occurred to me, I'm just not sure on how that's done
> internally)

This isn't the case. QuartzGL is not enabled on any Mac—it turns out that
building the pixmap on the CPU and shoving it over the bus once was more
performant than sending a bunch of draw calls to the video card. (Which strikes
me as likely to be particularly true for relatively-underpowered integrated
GPUs with shared memory.)

> but more directly, by using CATiledLayer you don't have to handle the tiling
> and threading yourself, and it avoids the final blit of your buffer into the
> view because you're (presumably) drawing directly into the layer backing.

Yup, these two points are exactly why I suggested it.

--Kyle Sluder