On Dec 11, 2013, at 4:20 AM, Graham Cox wrote:

> The documentation is sparse though, I’m not quite sure what I should be using
> for -levelsOfDetail and -levelsOfDetailBias. It’s clear I do need to set
> these to something other than their defaults to get the behaviour I need,
> which is not to pixelize my vector drawing as I zoom in. The defaults do show
> pixelization.

By searching the docs for "levelsOfDetailBias", I found Apple's
CALayerEssentials sample code.  A section of the AppController.m sets these
properties and has a comment which explains them fairly well:

    // To provide multiple levels of content, you need to set the
levelsOfDetail property.
    // For this sample, we have 5 levels of detail (1/4x - 4x).
    // By setting the value to 5, we establish that we have levels of 1/16x -
1x (2^-4 - 2^0)
    // we use the levelsOfDetailBias property we shift this up by 2 raised to
the power
    // of the bias, changing the range to 1/4-4x (2^-2 - 2^2).
    exampleCATiledLayer.levelsOfDetail = 5;
    exampleCATiledLayer.levelsOfDetailBias = 2;

Why such a clear explanation isn't in the class reference, I couldn't tell you.

Regards,
Ken