On Dec 26, 2013, at 10:49 AM, Peter Teeson wrote:

> The documentation in the NSCell Class Reference states:
> Designated Initializers
> When subclassing NSCell you must implement all of the designated
> initializers.
> Those methods are: init, initWithCoder:, initTextCell:, and initImageCell:.
>
> and later on
> Sets the receiver’s control tint.
> - (void)setControlTint:(NSControlTint)controlTint
> Parameters
> controlTint
> An Designated Initializers value that specifies the tint of the receiver.

Neither of these docs are necessarily relevant, as it may not be a function of
the cell that determines its look. In fact, it is most likely the button that
makes the decision.

> Changing the instantiation code to this makes no difference:
>    _Cancel = [[NSButton alloc]init];
>    [_Cancel setFrame:theButtonFrame];
>    [_Cancel setNeedsDisplay:YES];
>
> So my questions are:
> (0) Is the fact that initWithFrame does not set the currentControlTint a bug
> (and hence worth a bug report)?

Why would it? There are a other factors that may effect the tint, and on top of
that, the NSControlTint value of 0 is "NSDefaultControlTint" which would likely
be the appropriate value if there is no other determinate condition.

> (1) It is not in the list of Designated Initializers - should it be?

What you quote above is NSCell's designated initializers, and the class has no
direct relationship with NSButton other than both being subclasses of NSObject.

> (2) Other than sub-classing NSCellInit and NSButton what other code way can I
> set the controlTint for the Button?

If you need something other than the default, I imagine you are expected to set
it yourself. You could always make a generic NSButton subclass that you can use
in Interface Builder to see how various attributes are set.

HTH,

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.