Hi Peter

The code as posted behaves as you explain.

However, if you bind a value to the NSTextField then things work as expected
and the NSFormatter error sheet is displayed.

I am not sure exactly why this occurring - perhaps some else can throw some
light on it.
Perhaps the binding mechanics / NSFormatter interaction is poor when the value
binding isn’t in place.

Regards

Jonathan

On 10 Jan 2014, at 09:31, Peter <magn...@web.de> wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> my bad, sorry for the confusion! You are right, it is an NSTextField.
> Find the corrected text below.
>
> Am 10.01.2014 um 10:24 schrieb jonat...@mugginsoft.com:
>
>> Hi Peter
>>
>> You say NSTextView. Do you mean NSTextField?
>>
>> Can we take a look at your demo project?
>>
>> Jonathan
>>
>> On 10 Jan 2014, at 09:10, Peter <magn...@web.de> wrote:
>
> This cost me a couple of hours of sleep.
>
> OS 10.9.1, Xcode 5.0.2
>
> In my app I have an NSTextField with an NSNumberFormatter attached to it. The
> latter limits input to integers of a specified range.
>
> As soon as bind the NSTextField enabled or editable properties to a simple
> boolean property in my controller (no other bindings in place), the number
> formatter no longer honors the range constraints and lets values pass
> unfiltered.
>
> Without bindings, the system beeps when trying to enter a prohibited value.
> With bindings, range constraints are ignored while non-integer input is
> blocked, but without the system beep.
>
> Changing SDKs, setting the number formatter up in code, binding to the
> encapsulated NSTextViewCell etc. do not fix the issue.
>
> Has anybody seen this?
> I have searched radars but could not find anything.
>
> I have a bare bones project exhibiting this bug 100% deterministically, which
> I could send to interested parties (or upload to GitHub).
> I have never done that before, but I intend to file a radar, unless somebody
> finds a fundamental flaw in my setup.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Peter

> This email sent to jonat...@mugginsoft.com

Regards

Jonathan Mitchell
Mugginsoft LLP

jonat...@mugginsoft.com
KosmicTask - the Integrated Scripting Environment for OS X.
http://www.mugginsoft.com/KosmicTask
Follow on Twitter @KosmicTask
Objective-C and OS X contract work undertaken
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mugginsoft
Github http://github.com/mugginsoft