On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 11:58:15 +1000, Gideon King <gid...@novamind.com> said:

>We have the seemingly impossible situation where the text is drawn in a font
>face that is not in the list returned by [UIFont familyNames].

Well, it isn't *very* impossible. Consider the case of a label or button whose
text drawn in one of the Dynamic Text role fonts (such as the Caption font for
a certain size). That is text, it is being drawn, but the name of the font face
used is not in the list.

>By looking at the UIFont preferredFontForTextStyle: return values, I can see
>that there are at least the following hidden fonts:
>".HelveticaNeueInterface-M3”
>".HelveticaNeueInterface-MediumP4”
>".HelveticaNeueInterface-Bold”

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if those _were_ the Dynamic Text role fonts.

>It all seems a bit messy, so any feedback would be welcome.

All I can tell you is that Apple has said not to use these names for anything,
as they are (1) hidden and (2) subject to change. If you encounter the name
through the Dynamic Text role font, you are supposed to stick with the font
descriptor for the Dynamic Text role, and ignore the name that you accidentally
saw. Of course that doesn't solve the problem you're having; I'm just saying
what Apple says in the 2013 WWDC videos. I suppose you could say something like
System - Caption (or whatever it is) by running thru the various role names and
trying to match against the hidden font name... m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = m...@tidbits.com, http://www.apeth.net/matt/
Programming iOS 7! http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920031017.do