On Jan 24, 2014, at 09:58 , Kyle Sluder <k...@ksluder.com> wrote:

> A quick test in TextEdit shows that AppKit does not render soft hyphens
> as hyphens, but it will break on them.

Actually, TextEdit is Doing It Wrong™.

Soft (or discretionary) hyphens mark the points in a word where the word is
allowed to break. A soft hyphen is invisible except when the word actually
breaks there** — in which case it is typeset as a regular hyphen — and the word
isn’t allowed to break anywhere but at a soft hyphen if it has any of them.
This means, in particular, that if the soft hyphen is the first character of
the word, the word won’t break at all (from auto-hyphenation, I mean).

As others pointed out, a non-breaking hyphen is more or less exactly the
opposite thing.

This makes 2 things Apple apparently got wrong about typography. (The other is
its incorrect use of the term “leading”, which has been wrong for 30 years, as
of today.)

** And, of course, when “Show Invisibles” is on, except that TextEdit doesn’t
seem to have that either.