On Fri, Jan 24, 2014, at 11:36 AM, Quincey Morris wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2014, at 09:58 , Kyle Sluder <k...@ksluder.com> wrote:
>
> > A quick test in TextEdit shows that AppKit does not render soft hyphens
> > as hyphens, but it will break on them.
>
> Actually, TextEdit is Doing It Wrong™.
>
> Soft (or discretionary) hyphens mark the points in a word where the word
> is allowed to break. A soft hyphen is invisible except when the word
> actually breaks there** — in which case it is typeset as a regular hyphen
> — and the word isn’t allowed to break anywhere but at a soft hyphen if it
> has any of them. This means, in particular, that if the soft hyphen is
> the first character of the word, the word won’t break at all (from
> auto-hyphenation, I mean).
>
> As others pointed out, a non-breaking hyphen is more or less exactly the
> opposite thing.

Yes, I think this confusion is entirely my own fault. But I still found
a bug in AppKit, so some good has come out of it. :)

To repeat my test, open a new TextEdit document and type the word
"test". Then paste in a soft hyphen. Notice how the soft hyphen is
correctly invisible. Then type the letters "ing" and a space. Copy and
paste that a whole bunch. Resize the window and watch as the text
correctly breaks at the soft hyphens, but fails to turn the hyphens
visible.

--Kyle Sluder