If you post to the speech-dev list you'll likely get a more detailed reply as
Apple's TTS engineers hang out there.

I believe it is possible to hook up the synthesizer as an Audio Unit and
capture the output that way.

A more basic approach would be to use the venerable UNIX mkfifo function to
create a file which is really a pipe:

http://linux.die.net/man/3/mkfifo

Then you can direct the synthesizer to write down one end of it and read the
other end to get the data without going via the disk.

But really ask on the other list.