I am reading a document in the format of the old version of my app and
converting it to a new format. The old version is not a document at all but
is a fixed data file in /Application Support/MyApp/

MyDocument *untitledDoc = [[NSDocumentController sharedDocumentController]
makeDocumentForURL:nil withContentsOfURL:fileURL
ofType:kApplicationDocumentType error:&error];

if (untitledDoc)
{
  [untitledDoc makeWindowControllers];
  [untitledDoc showWindows];
  [untitledDoc setFileURL:nil];
  [[NSDocumentController sharedDocumentController] addDocument:(NSDocument
*)untitledDoc];
}

This works fine and I am able to migrate the data into a real NSDocument
subclass.

However, if I close the window (thus closing the document) and choose to not
save, the file package at fileURL is deleted.

Yikes!

How can I completely disassociate the fileURL from the new document that I
created. I want to treat fileURL as a template or stationary that is only
read from, and never written to.

[untitledDoc setFileURL:nil] does not seem to work to disassociate the
document from the source file.

Thanks,

Trygve