On 2014 Feb 08, at 11:43, Trygve Inda <cocoa...@xericdesign.com> wrote:

> However, if I close the window (thus closing the document) and choose to not
> save, the file package at fileURL is deleted.

In order to keep a critical document from being deleted in this way, I think
you should save it in code (“programatically”) before the user even sees it.
Then, the user will never presented with the choice of whether to save or
delete.

Due to the intricacies of NSDocument, this may be a little hairy.  If your
document is not based on Core Data, try…

-[NSDocument writeSafelyToURL:ofType:forSaveOperation:error:]

If it is based on Core Data, try…

-[NSManagedObjectContext save:]

And then, I’ve found, in order to satisfy NSDocument’s bean counters and avoid
future dialogs about your document being “moved”, “changed by another
application”, etc., you also need to do this…

-[NSDocument saveToURL:ofType:forSaveOperation:error:]

Particularly if your document is Core Data, this reply from Ben Trumbull of
Apple will be of interest…

http://lists.apple.com/archives/cocoa-dev/2009/May/msg01187.html

The current version of the code being discussed in that thread is here…

https://github.com/jerrykrinock/CategoriesObjC/blob/master/NSPersistentDocument%2BPathify.m