On Feb 8, 2014, at 10:20 AM, Ben <ben_cocoa_dev_l...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> This is fine for most things, except that I sometimes need faster access to
> the underlying database - for example, when importing/exporting data. In
> these cases I'm after bulk data throughput without the overhead of
> creating/destroying many NSOperations with completion handlers since there
> can be in the order of millions of statements to handle.

You can read arbitrarily large amounts of data with a single statement, so
that's not an issue. But in general it takes many statements to insert a lot of
rows. (And for performance reasons you really want to group all of those
statements in a single transaction, or you'll lose an order of magnitude of
performance.)

What I'd do is provide a new operation type that does a bulk-insert or
bulk-update. When run the operation performs a series of SQL statements
starting with a "BEGIN" and ending with an "END".

—Jens