Also, consider dropping the table indexes before you start inserting. After the
you're done inserting, rebuild the indexes. This should give you an an
additional performance boost.

For even more speed, consider turning off the following setting:

http://www.sqlite.org/pragma.html#pragma_synchronous

*warning*: read the link carefully and understand what it does before using it!

-- Tito