On 05 Mar 2014, at 23:57, Quincey Morris <quinceymor...@rivergatesoftware.com>
wrote:
> Incidentally, having a “fully obscured” custom text field won’t help you in
> the demo scenario, because the audience can still see the key images pop up
> on the keyboard as you type. Are you proposing removing that feedback too?
> (And how will you do that?)

 Unless you’re recording, the key caps popping up is less of an issue. They pop
up in different places, so an audience member’s or shoulder-surfer’s eyes have
to follow the cap as it’s popping up and read it that moment. At the usual
typing speed, by the time my eyes have jumped to the key cap, it has closed
already.

 On the other hand, in the text field it is obvious where the next character
will pop up, and they show up in the proper reading order, so it is so easy to
read a password I often do it accidentally.

>> How very sad ... there should really be no way I could influence Apple in
>> this regard. IE: this isn't some elaborate, hard to define bug. This better
>> not be an accident that requires energy from someone as insignificant as me
>
> I agree with the earlier post which said (more or less) that if it’s your job
> to demo stuff, then it’s also your (your company’s) responsibility to provide
> a non-secure demo platform, or a non-secure account.

 Definitely. If data is confidential enough to protect by password access, you
should be using a demo server with dummy data. That’s better for a demo anyway.
If you can run that demo server locally, you’re insulated from network issues
during your demo like other users eating up all the bandwidth or Wifi
interference.

 If, for some reason that is not an option (why?), having single-use accounts
or accounts with pseudo-random single-usepasswords is probably the best. That
way, even if someone sees the password onscreen, it has already changed by the
time an audience member might enter it.

Cheers,
-- Uli Kusterer
“The Witnesses of TeachText are everywhere...”
http://zathras.de