On Mar 28, 2014, at 4:02 PM, Kyle Sluder <k...@ksluder.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014, at 01:11 PM, Chris Hanson wrote:
>> You should use the SQLite that is part of the OS, and not build a
>> separate version.
>>
>> The same goes for all the various projects that are part of an operating
>> system: The versions included with a particular operating system can be
>> tuned for that operating system and the hardware it runs on. That doesn’t
>> mean they will be, but it’s something that can be done, and you should
>> consider that possibility when deciding whether to include your own
>> version of a library.
>
> Apple has frequently advised people _not_ to link directly against
> system libraries included on the OS, such as libssl and libxml2, as
> these are included with the operating system in support of other
> technologies such as Security.framework and NSXMLDocument.

Forgive me if my memory is faulty here, but isn't Chris Hanson an Apple
employee himself?

I certainly do remember seeing plenty of recommendations from Apple not to link
against the provided libssl. However, the symbols in that library are all
marked as deprecated in the headers. This does not seem to be the case for
SQLite.

Charles