I think this problem might go beyond Core Animation, unless NSAnimation is
using CoreAnimation under the hood.

Apple's sample code Image Transition and Cocoa Slides both crash when built
using Xcode 5.1 and run on 10.9.2. But built apps that apple provides with the
sample code still work on 10.9.2. When built using Xcode 5.1 these samples
crash when you do something that causes a CoreImage filter to be rendered.

I hit this over the weekend and again today so I thought I'd add it to the mix.

Kevin