On Mar 31, 2014, at 11:17 AM, Kevin Meaney <k...@yvs.eu.com> wrote:

> Apple's sample code Image Transition and Cocoa Slides both crash when built
> using Xcode 5.1 and run on 10.9.2. But built apps that apple provides with
> the sample code still work on 10.9.2. When built using Xcode 5.1 these
> samples crash when you do something that causes a CoreImage filter to be
> rendered.

I ran into this issue just now testing my only other Core Animation layers
application. The fix for this particular problem is well documented in the
AppKit Release Notes for 10.9 in the "Changes to layer rendering" section and
the current NSView Class Reference entry for the -setLayerUsesCoreImageFilters:
method. I added that message to the -initWithFrame: method in my NSView
subclass, as instructed, and the documented exception disappeared. I haven't
tried Apple's sample applications, but I would guess that this simple fix would
work for them, as well.

To my surprise (and pleasure), this other Core Animation layers application is
now working perfectly when rebuilt using Xcode 5.1 and running on 10.9.2. I
still don't know why my first Core Animation layers application doesn't work
right when built using Xcode 5.1 and running on 10.8.x or 10.9.x.

--

Bill Cheeseman - b...@cheeseman.name