I found what was wrong, mea culpa :(

At the very beginning I have some lines to to take over if row == -1 and that
intercepted.
It works like this:

- (void)tableViewSelectionDidChange:(NSNotification *)notification      {

        NSInteger row = [_tableView selectedRow];

        if (row == -1)  { //Code if deselected
                NSLog(@"Deselected: %li",row); //returns always -1
                return;
        }

        else    { //Code if selected
                NSLog(@"Select row %li:  %@",row ,thePathToFile);//returns row
number

Greetings from Switzerland, Ronald Hofmann
---