On 21 Apr 2014, at 15:53, Keary Suska <cocoa-...@esoteritech.com> wrote:

> On Apr 21, 2014, at 8:12 AM, Dave wrote:
>
>> @property (nonatomic,retain)         id                      payloadObject;
>>
>> This is after I ARCed it, before that it didn’t specify it, e.g. it was
>> (nonatomic). I must have made it retain when I was going through the
>> properties. I’m not sure what the default is? I assume it must have been
>> assign for this to work originally. I did a google for this and found
>> conflicting results, according to the Objective-C Reference Manial, it’s
>> assign. But I’m not sure where the “Offical” Objective-C manual is located
>> to get it from the source.
>>
>> payloadObject is just used to hold a copy of the object to pass to the
>> delegate method
>>

>> After changing this, the leaks when down by a massive factor. Basically it
>> was hanging onto *every* response from the server!
>>
>> I’m about to look through the code and see if I’ve made a similar mistake
>> elsewhere.
>>
>> There are still a few more small leaks which I’m looking at now, but this is
>> the mainstay - thanks again!
>
> I find this a somewhat confusing and non-inutitive issue with ARC--"strong"
> is the default under ARC, vs. "assign" in non-ARC. This can be a tricky issue
> when converting MRR projects.

Agreed! I assumed that leaving off the default for this attribute would be
retain, whereas in fact it must have been assign when it was originally
written. I think that this is SUCH an important aspect that it give a warning
if it’s not specified explicitly. I’d also promote that one to an error!

Cheers
Dave