Usually, I would access such variables as properties that are lazy loaded, in
which case the accessing code is simply:

        self.x …

and the accessor is

        - (NSString *) x {
                if (!_x) {
                        _x = @“yo”;
                }
                return _x;
        }

- Raheel

On April 24, 2014 at 7:36:57 AM, Alex Zavatone (z...@mac.com) wrote:

I was just asked yesterday if there is any shorthand in Objective-C for "if
this thing = nil, then instantiate a new instance from the class"

Something like this:

NSString x;

if ([x isEqualtoString:nil]) {
x = @"yo";
}

Feel free to replace NSString with any class.

And we messed around a bit looking for any shorthand and though it looked like
a terrible idea since the comparison is done against integers using the ternary
operator, I'd like to know exactly why it's a terrible idea.

NSString x;

Thanks in advance.
- Alex

This email sent to ahmadrah...@gmail.com