Not native and I've no idea when or if this is a good idea ... nor am I sure
how much typing you want to do ... but you _could_ create a class convenience
method for this

    x = [Thing defaultIfNil:x];

With shorter or longer names as you see fit ... down to possibly:

    x = [Thing :x]

I've really no idea if that syntax would work but it stands out and might be
easy to use and identify in the code!

-Luther