On 25 Apr 2014, at 11:24 am, Dave <d...@looktowindward.com> wrote:

> I always knew autorelease was bad news!

No it isn't, at least not inherently. But if you don't properly understand it
then it can bite you. You've trodden this path before, and I don't want to
rehash all that, but you were wrong then as well. If you spend a little time
with manual memory management thinking in terms of object ownership, the
conventions and rules become really obvious. Moving to ARC does not, I think,
remove the need for the same understanding. In some ways it makes it more
critical.

You cannot avoid autorelease - the frameworks must use it to be consistent with
the established rules, so even if you avoid it religiously in your own code
(and it is just dogma to do so) then you still have to deal with objects
returned by other code.

--Graham