On 2014 Apr 25, at 10:38, Tom Doan <t...@estima.com> wrote:

> 1. NSHelpManager does not seem to have a way to open up a page
> based upon the file name (just "anchors" and search strings), while
> the older Apple Help did. Am I missing something there?

I don’t think so.  All my pages begin with, an <h1> or <h2> etc., which have
“id” attributes, which are good for anchors.

> user hits the help keys on a dialog … opens up the help with the specific
> page for that dialog

> 2. Under Windows, if you hit the F1 key, WM_HELP messages are
> sent up the chain, so I just have to process that at the desired level.
> I was hoping that there would similarly be a showHelp in
> NSResponder, but it appears that showHelp always goes straight to
> the NSApplication. Is there any way to work get the type of behavior
> I need?

Don’t use -[NSApplication showHelp:].  Define your own action method that you
implement in various classes (“levels”).  Then wire your button’s target to
this method in First Responder.

By the way, although NSHelpManager is Cocoa,
apple-help-author...@lists.apple.com is also a resource for this stuff.