Consider NSJSONSerialization.

-jwd// Joseph W. Dixon

OS X 10.9
Newb questions re: serializing an NSDictionary for network transfer to another
process. I've read over the Apple documentation, but it seems to detail the
methods involved but not how to use serialization, and some methods seem to
require writing archives or plist files to disk. So, I must be approaching this
all wrong...

(1) I see that NSDictionary has an encoding method:

- (void)encodeWithCoder:(NSCoder *)coder;

but this returns (void), which is puzzling to me. I would expect it to return
(void *) to a malloced region containing the serialization. Where does the
object serialization reside, and how do I access it?

(2) On the receiving end, I see that NSDictionary has the method:

- (id)initWithCoder:(NSCoder *)coder;

How do I apply this method to the byte stream that I have received to
instantiate a populated NSDictionary object?

-Carl

This email sent to jwdi...@gmail.com