On May 13, 2014, at 9:33 AM, Maxthon Chan <xcvi...@me.com> wrote:

> Whatever that is there is, for 100% sure, some form of standardised format
> that iOS, Android and your Java server will be able to deal with with higher
> level API.

*hollow laugh*

There are lots of different standardized formats. It’s just a simple matter of
poking through a bunch of raw binary data to try to figure out which one you
have.

Apple’s crypto/security frameworks are absolutely the most frustrating APIs
I’ve ever worked with. The domain is inherently pretty complex, but Apple's
APIs are also badly designed, badly documented, unreliable, and inconsistent
between platforms. In general I think Apple designs good APIs, but for some
reason crypto is a major exception. I’ve come to physically dread having to
touch any code relating to crypto on iOS — I literally get headaches and
stomach cramps after struggling with that stuff.

Other platforms' APIs are better, but the underlying formats and protocols are
still hard to work with. ASN.1 and DER/BER are nasty formats that make XML look
trivial. No one can agree on how to properly format X.509 certs[1]. And for
some reason the authors of cryptography books assume you don’t actually need to
know any of this useful stuff, so instead of explaining it they fill the book
with abstract discussions of the math behind RSA and the difference between CBC
and ECB cipher modes.

OK, enough ranting.

—Jens

[1]: https://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/x509guide.txt is a fun read,