I'm utterly perplexed by this problem because I thought that I'd been so
careful in ensuring that my data can be read safely with no problems.

This is my snippet of code:
                    [datastream getBytes:&bytes
range:NSMakeRange(positionCounter, datasize)]; // Length of packet content
                    positionCounter+= datasize;

                    datasize = (unsigned int)bytes; //This is the length of the
data indicated in the data structure from the capture.
                    if (positionCounter+datasize>[datastream length])
                    {
                        NSLog(@"Error - Bad size in datastream.");
                        datasize = [datastream length]-positionCounter-1; //the
minus one was just put there to ensure that we really are going to read a
little less data than we have available.

                        NSLog(@"length %lu, position %lu, datasize %lu,
pos+size %lu",[datastream
length],positionCounter,datasize,positionCounter+datasize); // the result of
this is length 18591, position 2974, datasize 15616, pos+size 18590
                    }
                    [datastream getBytes:&bytes
range:NSMakeRange(positionCounter, datasize)]; // Packet content

When this gets run, I get EXC_BAD_ACCESS code = 2 here.  I'm demonstrably
reading less data than the file contains, and I've been able to read through
the file successfully up to this point.  Please could someone suggest to me
what might be going wrong here?