Not sure if it's relevant but I've noticed that since iOS 7, motion-sensitive
apps ask for a calibration almost every time, where the phone has to be rolled
around until a circle completes. It never used to do that, or only in very
specific cases, or when the user clicked a calibration button. That change
suggests that perhaps the sensor needs calibrating a lot more often that was
previously thought, and maybe your app needs to do the same before it gets
reliable values.

--Graham