I have a view-based NSOutlineView with the Floats Group Rows setting turned on
in Interface Builder. The outline view is the one supplied by the Source List
object in the Xcode 5.1.1 Interface Builder library. It has Highlight set to
the Source List style, and it includes two NSTableCellViews, one for the
outline view's group rows and one for its regular rows.

It works fine, except for one thing: When the regular rows are scrolled under a
"sticky" group row at the top of the outline view, the text of the normal rows
is not dimmed. The visual effect is therefore terrible, because the words in
the group row and the words in the underlying normal row are the same intensity.

In all of the examples I see, the underlying text is dimmed or faded by a
substantial amount, for a nice visual effect. See for example Apple's
TableViewPlayground sample code and the PXSourceList example at
<https://github.com/Perspx/PXSourceList>. Examining the code and nib file
settings in those examples, I don't see anything special to account for the
dimming.

Can anybody explain the trick to me? I must be overlooking something in those
examples.

--

Bill Cheeseman - b...@cheeseman.name