On Jun 14, 2014, at 5:02 PM, Lee Ann Rucker <lruc...@vmware.com> wrote:

> Actually, the "default" color you get from IB may not be the "proper" color:
> rdar://16040037
>
> View-based SourceList header cell default text color should not be a custom
>
> It's 49% gray, instead of a named system color. One effect of that is that
> it's an unreadable gray on blue when selected. It appears that the cell is
> treating that 49% gray as a custom color to use in all situations, rather
> than the color for the unselected state.
>
> Setting it to any named color, like controlTextColor or white, makes it
> behave itself.

I'm not sure I follow you. I haven't done anything to set or change the color
of the group (header) rows' text in my source list, and it appears correct (49%
gray sounds like an accurate description of what I'm seeing).

The special color I referred to in my original post
("_sourceListBackgroundColor") is an Apple named system color which is the
color to use as the background color of a source list if the sourcelist,
according to the HIG, serves as the primary vehicle for the user to navigate or
filter an application's data. It's a private variable, but if you Google it
you'll see that it is widely known and used. I think Apple should include it in
the public declaration of named system colors, of which there are a few dozen.
All of these system colors automatically change when a window activates and
deactivates. Many Cocoa framework NSColor method parameters can't take these
system named colors. I tried to use "_sourceListBackgroundColor" in my NSBox
view early on, as a simple solution to one of my issues, but -[NSBox fillColor]
won't accept it.

--

Bill Cheeseman - b...@cheeseman.name