On Jul 14, 2014, at 11:48 AM, Carl Hoefs <newsli...@autonomy.caltech.edu> wrote:

> Yes, I guess it's the semantics that threw me. I was attempting to
> "insertBytesInRange" not "replaceBytesInRange", so I had it in my mind that
> the one couldn't do the other. But that's the whole purpose of the NSRange.
> Very cool.

The equivalent function in the ‘classic’ Mac OS had the very appropriate name
of Munger( ) since it would munge bytes around in a heap block. Knowing how to
use Munger was a sign of geek cred in the old (80s-90s) Mac dev community.

( http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.12/12.05/Handles2/index.html )

—Jens