In computing, the modulo (sometimes called modulus) operation finds the
remainder of division of one number by another.
Given two positive numbers, a (the dividend) and n (the divisor), a modulo n
(abbreviated as a mod n) is the remainder of theEuclidean division of a by n.
For instance, the expression "5 mod 2" would evaluate to 1 because 5 divided by
2 leaves aquotient of 2 and a remainder of 1, while "9 mod 3" would evaluate to
0 because the division of 9 by 3 has a quotient of 3 and leaves a remainder of
0; there is nothing to subtract from 9 after multiplying 3 times 3. (Note that
doing the division with a calculator won't show the result referred to here by
this operation; the quotient will be expressed as a decimal fraction.)
Although typically performed with a and n both being integers, many computing
systems allow other types of numeric operands. The range of numbers for an
integer modulo of n is 0 to n − 1. (n mod 1 is always 0; n mod 0 is undefined,
possibly resulting in a "Division by zero" error in computer programming
languages) See modular arithmetic for an older and related convention applied
in number theory.
When either a or n is negative, the naive definition breaks down and
programming languages differ in how these values are defined.