On Sep 1, 2014, at 4:07 PM, has <hengist.p...@virgin.net> wrote:

> [I'm cross-posting this from the AppleScript Users mailing list - it's not a
> Cocoa question, but quite a few developers are extremely interested in
> alternatives to AppleScript for application automation so I believe it has
> relevance. I don't wish to risk the Cocoa Dev list mom's wrath with a longer
> discussion thread though, so please post any replies to ASU
> <https://lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/applescript-users>, not here on CD.]
>

> Folks,
>
> While there's still a couple months till Yosemite ships, it already looks as
> if JavaScript for Automation is going to be one more priceless opportunity
> down the drain. I've been testing it since DP2 and, like Leopard's Scripting
> Bridge, it's a half-baked, half-broken mess whose authors do not understand
> how AppleScript and application scripting actually work in the real world,
> never eat their own dog food, and ignore any criticism they don't understand
> or don't wish to hear.

Unfortunately, a sad occurrence in software projects.

> As part of my feedback to the AS team, I hacked together first a prototype
> JavaScript-AppleEvent Bridge and then a full JavaScript OSA component that
> they could use as reference, although I've no idea if they even bothered to
> look at it (I just got crickets). I've now uploaded a zip file containing the
> JavaScriptOSA component, the JAB Demo tool for translating application
> commands from AppleScript to JavaScript syntax, and the original Xcode
> project files to the old appscript project page so everyone else can have a
> look as well:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/appscript/files
>
> Error reporting and documentation are incomplete, and there's bugs and other
> issues not yet resolved, but the AE and OSA support almost all works so folks
> already trying out JXA on Yosemite will find it useful for comparison. Folks
> on Mavericks can also try it if they wish as it's 10.9-compatible too. I'll
> try to finish it later if I've time, but as Apple have deprecated the whole
> OSA foundation it'll never be suitable for production use; therefore it's JXA
> or bust.
>
> At this late stage I think the only solution is for users to demand Apple
> reschedule JXA's initial release for 10.11, giving them time to [re]do it
> right. Bear in mind that once 10.10 ships, JXA's design defects will be
> effectively welded in for good. So it's up to all of you to decide if you're
> willing to accept something that's crippled, broken, and thoroughly inferior
> to AppleScript, and to make yourselves heard by those in charge if not.

Although I have this, and was quickly turned away because its complexity, to be
honest I really have little need for a solution like this. There are so many
issues in Cocoa and OS X that need Apple’s attention right now (like a newly
installed app breaking file associations) I don’t think that it will be a
priority anytime soon.

That’s not to say that I don’t think that Apple should delay it; I’m just
saying that I have doubts that it will happen.