On 02/09/2014 00:34, SevenBits wrote:

At this late stage I think the only solution is for users to demand Apple reschedule JXA's initial release for 10.11, giving them time to [re]do it right.
Although I have this, and was quickly turned away because its complexity, to be honest I really have little need for a solution like this.

The principles of Apple event-based application scripting really aren't complex: it's basically RPC plus simple first-class queries. Most of the confusion arises because none of the documentation ever tells you this, so OO-trained users wrongly assume it's object-oriented and get completely confused and frustrated when it behaves in non-OO ways. (Indeed, the JXA docs actively lie: the Apple Event Object Model is connected via relations, like Core Data, not composed of objects and object arrays a-la DOM.)

(I think the Cocoa Scripting docs mention relationships briefly, but only folks implementing scriptable apps read those, and I think the point is largely lost amongst all the other crud.)

Most other usability problems are due to individual applications not including adequate documentation and sample code, though it's hard to blame third-party developers when Apple's own apps are some of the worst offenders so hardly provide a good example to follow.

There are so many issues in Cocoa and OS X that need Apple’s attention right now (like a newly installed app breaking file associations) I don’t think that it will be a priority anytime soon.

The Automation team already has its own manager, developers, and budget, so aren't affected by OS X's other problems.

That’s not to say that I don’t think that Apple should delay it; I’m just saying that I have doubts that it will happen.
I don't think it'll happen either, but that's because it'd be admitting they made a mistake, which Apple almost never does. But the more users push back, the more chance someone further up the management structure will start paying attention, and perhaps eventually the appropriate butts will be kicked and told to do better.

Regards,

has