Hi all

I just spent a bit of time poking around the responder chain and nil targeted
actions.
I built a view controller and a view hierarchy with controls that should be
configurable.
When instantiating the view controller the interface allows configuring the
action SEL of the controls. Reuse is the goal of course.
I know 10.10 changes things greatly for view controllers. But on 10.9 that's
not there.

Anyway, I need to insert the view controller into the responder chain between
its top level view and that view's superview.
That wasn't too bad. Implement the missing reference to the vc in a view
subclass and give the vc a callback when the view is in place.

But what I found while tinkering is that for non-document based apps from a
vanilla project template there was no next responder for the window or the
NSApplication instance.
I had a method in the app delegate that I was trying to reach via nil targeted
action. It couldn't get there.
So I set the window nextResponder to the app and the app to the app delegate. I
also made the app delegate an NSResponder subclass.

It feels like overkill.
Am I missing something simple?
Is there something better to do here?