On Sep 7, 2014, at 10:24 AM, dangerwillrobinsondan...@gmail.com wrote:

> I just spent a bit of time poking around the responder chain and nil targeted
> actions.
> I built a view controller and a view hierarchy with controls that should be
> configurable.
> When instantiating the view controller the interface allows configuring the
> action SEL of the controls. Reuse is the goal of course.
> I know 10.10 changes things greatly for view controllers. But on 10.9 that's
> not there.
>
> Anyway, I need to insert the view controller into the responder chain between
> its top level view and that view's superview.
> That wasn't too bad. Implement the missing reference to the vc in a view
> subclass and give the vc a callback when the view is in place.
>
> But what I found while tinkering is that for non-document based apps from a
> vanilla project template there was no next responder for the window or the
> NSApplication instance.
> I had a method in the app delegate that I was trying to reach via nil
> targeted action. It couldn't get there.
> So I set the window nextResponder to the app and the app to the app delegate.
> I also made the app delegate an NSResponder subclass.
>
> It feels like overkill.
> Am I missing something simple?
> Is there something better to do here?

My inclination is that you broke something in your attempts to insert your VC
into the responder chain. The app delegate is always the last responder. Any
vanilla template will show that the app delegate will respond to unhandled
action message. In a vanilla project of any kind (that has a window), implement
the action message in your app delegate, wire up a nil-targeted action in a
menu, say, then see whether it is handled. If it is not, I would file a bug,
because I cannot reproduce this behavior.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.