On Wed, Sep 10, 2014, at 11:15 AM, Todd Heberlein wrote:
> > in the past few years when it's happened it's been an early symptom of
> > filesystem corruption. Sometimes there have been a bunch of leftover
> > temporary lock(?) files in the Preferences directory.
> >
> > If you're getting reports of this from users of your app, it might be worth
> > asking them to run Disk First Aid.
>
> I’ve run into this problem during software development (can’t recall for
> shipping apps). Since it is just during development, I trash the
> preferences file for the app and the problem usually goes away.

Part of the problem might be that you should avoid touching or viewing
the plist files in ~/Library/Preferences. cfprefsd has gotten more and
more aggressive about in-memory caching over the past few years, and the
preferences files might be out of date.

If you want to nuke an app's preferences, use `defaults delete
your.bundle.identifier`. However, in the past that has sometimes not
found the correct container. In that case you might still need to delete
the appropriate plist, but you may need to log out and back in both
before and after doing so to ensure that the changes are picked up by
cfprefsd.

--Kyle Sluder