Performance is another reason. IIRC, in earlier OS X releases it turned out
that there was significant overhead stemming from converting between different
types of file references as a call went up and down the stack —
NSString/CFString <—>NSURL/CFURL <—> FSRef <—> C strings, etc. (This may sound
trivial, but it's the kind of trivial thing that can eat up CPU time inside
loops or performance-critical code.) So there's been some effort to standardize
on NSURL/CFURL, at least above the POSIX/kernel layer.

So I don't have numbers to back this up, but my understanding is that
NSURL-based APIs will be slightly faster than NSString-based ones. Though
probably not enough faster to worry about unless your code is
performance-sensitive.

—Jens