> On Sep 20, 2014, at 7:54 PM, 2551 <2551p...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> OK, I should have presented the problem, rather than a solution that needed
> improving. If you have two text files written out at different times, how do
> you guys determine the difference between their contents to produce a third
> file stating the changes?

See what I wrote earlier about diff algorithms. (To see them in action, use the
'diff' command in your favorite version control tool, like git or svn.)
However, these tend to be either line- or byte-oriented; I'm not sure what
there is that operates on word boundaries.

The thing you're looking for doesn't seem very useful, to be honest. If I want
to know the difference between two versions of something, I don't think I'd
find a randomly-ordered pile of words useful. What I'd want is something that
shows the combined text with the deleted words crossed out and the new words
highlighted. That's basically a diff. The implementation is completely
different from what you're doing, because order matters; it has to scan both
arrays of words in parallel and notice the changes (and beyond that, I don't
know any further details. I'm sure it's covered in textbooks.)

—Jens