On Sep 25, 2014, at 11:53 AM, Kyle Sluder <k...@ksluder.com> wrote:

> But in general, I think Shift-to-slowly-animate is a misfeature.

I think of it as an Easter Egg. It is not meant to serve a useful purpose and
therefore is not a feature at all. It is nothing more than a trivial and fun
effect.

Notice that Apple still implements Shift-key slow motion for the Minimize
button in all applications' windows in Mavericks. And in Yosemite; I just tried
it. So at least Apple isn't concerned about problems -- for whatever that might
be worth. By the way, this is the slow motion animation that Steve Jobs
presented so many years ago, to the delight of thousands.

Can you suggest a real scenario where it might be a problem? I think first of
Services; for example, Shift-Cmd-Y to create a new sticky note. You are very
unlikely to use that key combination to create a sticky note and
simultaneously, while the Shift key is still down, click the mouse on the
control in one of my applications that implements the slow-motion-on-shift
animation.

I don't think I've done this, but one way to reduce the chance of problems
would be to specify that ONLY the Shift key be down to trigger the slow motion
effect. If any other modifier keys are down at the same time, it won't happen.
I forget whether a Shift-key-only modifier is possible for menu items. Even if
it is, I don't believe I've ever specified one in my applications, so the risk
of interference would be minimal.

Apple's Minimize button slow-motion effect works even if you hold down other
modifier keys along with the Shift key. I just tried it with Shift-Cmd-Y (it
requires some contortion if you only have two hands). Sure enough, you're
right, it causes the window to minimize to the Dock in slow motion and only
then does the new sticky note appear. But how often is anybody going to do that?

--

Bill Cheeseman - b...@cheeseman.name