(I apparently sent this to Alex alone the first time. Here it is for the list.)

On Sep 25, 2014, at 1:07 PM, Alex Zavatone <z...@mac.com> wrote:

> It can present an annoying and time wasting problem when it appears where it
> is not wanted.  Take, for example, Xcode.  The shortcut keys to zoom in and
> out of the storyboard require the shift key.  Apple chose to animate the zoom
> in and zoom out, rather than display the new resolution instantly, so if you
> want to be more efficient and you try the shortcut keys to zoom in or zoom
> out of a storyboard, since shift is one of the modifier keys, the animation
> (unwanted animation) is in slow motion.

As far as I know, the slow-motion-on-shift feature does not automatically work
on all animations. It has to be explicitly coded separately for each animation.

Here's an example of an Apple application that (apparently) uses animation for
an operation that includes Shift in the shortcut, but which does NOT exhibit
slow motion: In Mail, the View > Show/Hide Mailbox List menu item uses
Shift-Cmd-M as its keyboard shortcut. When you use the shortcut, the animation
is not in slow motion. Likewise, when you hit the expand/collapse button at the
left end of the jump bar while holding down the Shift key, the animation is not
in slow motion.

My point is that the Xcode developers must have deliberately included the
slow-motion-on-Shift feature for storyboard zoom. I have to admit that I don't
know why they would have thought that appropriate, but perhaps they wanted to
use it at WWDC for the Wow! effect just as Steve Jobs did with the Minimize
button years ago. This particular case seems inappropriate to me, mainly
because they chose to include Shift as one of the required modifier keys for
the keyboard shortcut. I would suggest that this is worthy of a bug report.

--

Bill Cheeseman - b...@cheeseman.name