On Oct 10, 2014, at 00:32:26, Greg Parker <gpar...@apple.com> wrote:

> That looks like LaunchServices waiting for an XPC reply from something,
> probably launchservicesd. You should try sampling launchservicesd while this
> is hanging to see if the server is getting stuck while processing the
> request.

I tried sampling it, and the sample looks the same as it does when my app is
not running.

> Odds are that it's a bug in LaunchServices client or server and not your
> code, though, unless you have a memory smasher or file descriptor error that
> is breaking LaunchServices' XPC connection. I'd recommend filing a bug report
> with instructions to make your project hang plus a sysdiagnose captured
> during the hang (which will sample both your app and launchservicesd).

I'll hold off on reporting a bug until I can figure out if it's my fault or
not. I asked before how I can find out which things are not thread-safe, but
didn't get a reply on that. I don't see anything about thread safety in any of
the headers for these:

CGImageSourceCreateWithURL
CGImageSourceCreateImageAtIndex
CGColorSpaceCreateDeviceRGB