On Oct 10, 2014, at 10:20 AM, Kevin Meaney <k...@yvs.eu.com> wrote:

> Now I've been optimizing to maximize throughput for processing image files...

Things depend VERY much on what exactly you're doing. I've optimized for
throughput of processing image files, and found that number of worker threads
equal to logical CPUs maximized throughput. (Except for 2 logical cores, where
3 threads were fastest, go figure...)

So my processing is probably more CPU-bound, where yours is more cache-bound.
But anyway, point is, OP needs to experiment--most likely range is between
(number of physical CPUs)/2 and (number of logical CPUs)x2.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_r...@elevated-dev.com