On Oct 15, 2014, at 23:05 , Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com> wrote:

> I don't know, but it seems to bethat my system is screwed up in some way that
> the usual lsregister rebuild isn't clearing. If that's the case then this
> screw-up occurred using Xcode 6.0.1's UTI editor plus launching my app,
> nothing especially skanky on my part.
>
> I think my question must be now: how do I get rid of the cached register and
> rebuild it properly?

I dunno, but I also got into LS database hell once, and it wasn’t fun.

From what I recall, rebuilding the database isn’t really reliable. Whether it
lies, or doesn’t do it, or does something more complicated than you expect, I
don’t know. Again from what I recall, the only solution was to go on a search
and destroy mission locating every lurking copy of the app that remained on the
system. Only when I found and destroyed the last one did the associations work
properly.

Deleting your derived data folder is a key part of this, but you may find other
copies of your app (from previous builds, test sessions, emails, etc) in
unexpected places.

The fact that the Finder is mis-reporting the file type suggests to me that
there are out-of-date copies of your app somewhere.