Using Xcode Version 6.1 (6A1052d) on the latest developer build of Yosemite.

I'm confused as to whether this is a bug, or if I'm just doing something wrong.

I have  an NSTextView, whose string I want to update while I wait for another
method to complete. Since this method is going to take around 10-30 seconds,
I'm displaying a spinner progress indicator.

However, I want the text field to update before (and, ideall, during, but I'll
settle for before) the spinner starts, but no matter where I put the text field
message, it waits until the spinner has finished before updating. I've even
tested to make sure the update happens first (see the conditional clause
below), but the update is not shown in the view until the spinner finishes.

In the following method, the 'hit sleep' message and sleep functions are both
called, but the text "display something..." isn't shown until after the spinner
stopAnimation call.

 [_mySpinner startAnimation:nil];

 [_infoField setString:@"display something..."];

NSString *didChange = [_infoField string];
    NSRange r = [didChange rangeOfString:@"something"];
    [_infoField needsDisplay];
    if (r.location !=NSNotFound) {
        NSLog(@"hit sleep");
        sleep(5);
    }
    [_mySpinner stopAnimation:nil];

Putting the _infoField setString call before the spinner's startAnimation call
makes no difference. What am I doing wrong?

Related? I do get an error in Xcode's console when this method fires, but its
one I've had (and filed) before in a completely different scenario and I'm not
sure it's related:

IMK Stall detected, *please Report* your user scenario in
<rdar://problem/16792073> - (imkxpc_selectedRangeWithReply:) block performed
very slowly (4.29 secs)
2014-11-11 16:52:24.447 App Fixer[507:4410] IMK Stall detected, *please Report*
your user scenario in <rdar://problem/16792073> -
(imkxpc_attributesForCharacterIndex:reply:) block performed very slowly (2.29
secs)

Any thoughts as to how I can get my text field to update, before or duing the
spinner's run would be very much appreciated.

Best

Phil