In Xcode 6.1 command click on a native Swift function like print or assert and
jump to the definition. This takes you to the interface for the function in
what appears to be a machine generated “definition file”. There are no .swift
files in the Xcode package documentation area. So for Apple’s native Swift
functions the interface is presented in one place and the implementation is
somewhere else.

So how is that supposed to work for my code? A header files forces you to
separate the interface from the implementation. I always thought that was a
good thing but apparently not. But then again it appears that Apple may not be
eating its own dog food because the interface appears to be separate from the
implementation for the native swift stuff they provide.

Also note that in the Xcode 6.1 native Swift “definition file” there are no
access control levels. The file that is presented does not contain any of the
keywords: public, internal, or private. So it appears Apple has separated the
interface from the implementation for native Swift functions using some other
technique.

Apple’s documentation states Swift is “designed to scale from “hello, world” to
an entire operating system.” Well I really can’t see how Swift could scale to a
large complex project with the interface and implementation residing in the
same file. But then again maybe I have spent too much time in C and Objective-C.

Richard Charles