Since this seems like a two cents-style discussion, I figured I'd add mine.

"We developers have been whining about having to type everything twice for
years now. Also, if you have interface and implementation files, you need
twice as many tabs (or windows), so to speak. Removing half the files
allows the UI to be more effective/flexible."

I've personally never whined about any of this.  I really like have a place
to put all my documentation that is cleanly separated from where the actual
work gets done.  In larger files, the large headerdoc comments would
destroy any sense of position in the implementation file with unnecessary
bloat. If I had to scroll past all the giant comments with discussions
about usability and edge cases, I'd get frustrated every time I had to work
on that file.
Plus, separating the two keeps the implementation details out of the hair
of people who are reading a header to learn how to use your
library/api/interface.

"But then again it appears that Apple may not be eating its own dog food
because the interface appears to be separate from the implementation for
the native swift stuff they provide."

<aside>Maybe they are and it's giving them as much trouble as it is some of
us which could explain recent lapses in quality control for both
OSs.</aside>

Some examination and explanation of the documentation style for Swift can
be found on the website of the wonderful Mattt Thompson (
http://nshipster.com/swift-documentation/) written back in July.  So it
appears that at least the quicklook documentation is doable with comments
in the .swift file alongside the code.

I think Swift will be slow uptake for large projects (although notably,
AFNetworking was re-written [updated?] in Swift as AlamoFire, so someone
[Mattt] is onboard) because it does so many things differently than what we
are used to and deadlines don't lend themselves to learning new syntax.
Plus, there are still going to be growing pains (try typing the characters
"@auto" in a swift file to see what I mean) as swift support and the swift
compiler get more mileage and more improvements.

A half-client/half-friend of my company who's been writing code for a long
long time, commented to me that the way swift and it's compilers are
developing remind him of the way C was when it was new and FORTRAN was
king.  I don't think that Swift is the new C, but it does have some issues
that need to be worked out/around or at least explained before I move over.

--
Daniel Blakemore
Pixio Software