> -[OSAScript executeAndReturnDisplayValue:error:]

Bingo! THAT's what I was looking for!

In my current project (I have several derivatives of the editor I'm building,
which is another thing that keeps me playing with it), I'd switched to
NSAppleScript and forgotten that OSAScript has one or two more tricks. I was
also spending too much time looking at NSAppleEventDescriptor thinking the
answer was/should have been in there somewhere.

Right, then. Now, let's see about that dictionary viewer...