>> On Jan 6, 2015, at 8:43 PM, Trygve Inda <cocoa...@xericdesign.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ultimately what I need to able to do is compare a bookmark to a path.
>
> Why? Or rather, what is the reason underlying that one?

I am keeping a database of files that the user adds to a database.
Internally I keep the bookmark to each file but also cache the file's path
as it is faster to work with.

When adding new files, I need to make sure the file is not already in the
database so I compare the paths. This works well except when the case
changes. In that situation a file might be added that is already in the
database and since the bookmark is resolving to an old path (same path but
different case), the compare method fails unless it is made case
insensitive... But not all file systems are case insensitive.

So it needs to be fast... When I add a file, I might already have a few
thousand files in the database.