> On Jan 6, 2015, at 9:37 PM, Trygve Inda <cocoa...@xericdesign.com> wrote:
>
> When adding new files, I need to make sure the file is not already in the
> database so I compare the paths.

That's not reliable. Different paths does not mean different files, even
without case-folding. There are symlinks and hard-links and weird Unicode
encoding issues that can all result in multiple paths that point to the same
file.

My hunch is you'd need to compare the file IDs, but that will only work on
HFS+. If you need to support FAT or network volumes, it gets more complicated.
(But I'm not a filesystem expert.)

—Jens